Friday, October 30, 2009

An Instrumental person in my life

Inspirations are always a learning process and thus many people are influenced by one another. In the book “Three cups of tea” Greg Mortenson set off in 1993 with a group to climb K2 which is the second largest mountain in the world. He never expected he would make it almost to the top. Even though he was not able to make it to the top, he didn’t get demoralized rather he took it as a learning process. He never expected two Balti men would help him off the mountain and welcome him to be a member of their village. He never expected to start 22 schools in Pakistan while spearheading an effort to educate girls as a result. Since his maiden voyage, Mortenson has spent nine years advocating girls’ education in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Mortenson told the crowd that while recovering from the physical and emotional exhaustion of the climb, he visited a local school and was moved by the conditions he saw. Children were studying in the dirt, and the village couldn’t pay for teachers. Before long, they asked Mortenson to help them build a school. He was also instrumental in building a bridge and getting eye care and a clean drinking water system to the area. After returning to the United States, Mortenson began looking for potential sponsors to fund the project. But this was not the end of his journey; he spent a good deal of time helping the people in one way or the other. So him major influence has been the villagers that motivated him to do such a wonderful job.


Looking at my own experience in Global Beginnings, there has been someone who has been the most instrumental person guiding me throughout the process and that man is none other than my father. He has always been a key to my success. This is my first travel outside my home country and I have never travelled without my family. It is quite difficult for an international student to adjust with the cultural differences. So far, the first semester in France has been full of ups and downs. As we move towards the end of the semester, the screws are getting tighter and the courses are getting tougher. Apart from home sick, work overload, relation with different professors and the cultural differences that I am going through, I have been really stressed out. This has been the toughest times and I am still trying to hang on. I have always admired my father for his support in what I do. He has always motivated me when I struggle and hence push me further to excel whether in academics or life in general. My father calls me almost every day in order to make me feel that I am not alone. Generally, when I tell him about my assignments and workloads, he is always ready to help me and give advices. If I would say that a person who has really had a hand in my success is my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment