Thursday, November 26, 2009

A day not to be forgotten

Nov 25, what a day to start with. I woke up at 11 am in the morning, didn’t had time to get my breakfast in the dining room, and on top of that I didn’t had anything to eat except for some leftover cereals. Along with just being alone in my room, I start to wonder here and there, trying to analyze things that were going through my minds every time, everywhere. As usual a small circular window reflecting the bright sun’s rays wake me up every morning. I feel quite demoralized when I look my so called messed up room and see nothing but my clothes scattered on the floor, the pillows shapes like some kind of weird creature, and my books are all jumbled up. First of all with this kind of atmosphere, either I want to go to bed again and sleep the entire day or just go out and never come back to my room. Sleeping has always been a hobby for me. I can sleep forever.

Moving on with my tight schedule, the first thing I usually do in the first hour is open my computer, see if there is any connection to internet. Talking about internet, the place where I am staying has one of the worst internet connections I have ever encountered so far. Luckily there was connection on this particular day. Going to the official college website has always been like face booking or using skype these days. More then anything else, I use the college website every five minutes. The consequence of not going through the college website is that you miss everything that has been assigned. The best part of going through the college website is to look at the grades for different courses. This is the only thing that motivates me to do better on my academics.

After hours of wondering what I should do or where should I start from, I start to open my word document and type few lines about the events and activities we had gone through. Well this is the most interesting and the most boring part of writing a journal. The most interesting part which is one can describe the things they did as they want and the boring part is to write journal for every events. Sometimes I feel that I don’t have anything to write and the words that come through my mind are lost before my hand starts typing. Knowing what to and what not to write, I began to flip the pages of “Indecision” which is the book for our philosophy classes and started taking notes. This lasted for five minutes and then I felt like the gravity is pulling me and trying to convey the message “go back to sleep Sugam.”

Not able to concentrate on a particular thing, I start to stretch myself in order to gain my consciousness. I remember most of the times, Professor Bill Thomas with his wicked look and smile told me to get out of my room and explore the city around and in that way I will be able to learn and concentrate on my work. Its not that I want to spend everyday staying at my room, trying to figure out the things I need to do. I am quite an outgoing and a compatible person but the only thing that bothers me is that it consumes much time to go to the nearest city. After spending hours and hours of time playing guitar, sleeping and thinking about things which are not supposed to be thought, the sun slowly started to move towards the west.

As Professor Bill says to connect everything with “light” which is the main theme for the course, I decided at least to end the day with something useful and worthy. The courses that we have been taking has been designed in such a way that each one of them offers and integrated theme for the semester an this has been very useful as I have been able to make connections through each and every course so far. As of now, we have been experiencing the French culture for a while, I decided to meet one of the French students from a Business school in order to share a bit of culture and get to know their culture more. It was around 5 pm when I finally decided that I should move out of the Chateau and meet a student in the city of Strasbourg. When I reached the city, I met this student called Guiyom who was just waiting for me. As we started walking around the city, we shared many aspects about our culture and got to know each other well. The main purpose of our meeting was to learn more about each others lifestyles and the language we speak. Basically, our conversation was mostly based on the studies we have been taking and the experiences we have gone through. It was an amazing experience to get to know the French student and this helped me a lot with the courses I have been talking as well.
After spending couple of hours with the French student, I started heading back to the Chateau as it was already 8 pm. As I reached the Chateau I took a moment to remember the things I had done on that particular day. I started the day being a bit sloppy as I was not able to concentrates on any thing but as I went to the city to explore a bit about the French culture, the day seemed quite fine and at least I had something to work on. Now I have realized that sitting in the room for hours and figuring out what I should do and end up doing nothing, it is better to explore different people, places and cultures around you. For instance, I have learned to be more conscious about the people around me rather than trying to analyze the unnecessary things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment